MONICA
37 years old
freelance photographer
running coach
Sunny Southern Cali, US of A

NO AUTOGRAPHS, PLEASE.
JUST TAKE THE BUTTON...





CHI RUNNING
by Danny Dreyer

GOING LONG
by Joe Friel
& Gordon Byrn

THE PALEO DIET FOR ATHLETES
by Loren Cordain and Joe Friel

KILLING YOURSELF TO LIVE:
85% OF TRUE STORY

by Chuck Klosterman

WHAT I TALK ABOUT WHEN I TALK ABOUT RUNNING
by Haruki Murakami

HAVEN'T HAD CABLE SINCE THE MOVE SIX MONTHS AGO. NOW I HAVE THAT DIGITAL BOX THAT I GOT FREE WITH THE GOVERNMENT VOUCHER. I'M HOOKED ON THE FREE USN CHANNEL (NBC) THAT PLAYS OLD KONA SPECIALS FROM YEARS PAST!!!

THEN OF COURSE FOR THE HOURS I SPEND ON THE TRAINER...


MY O.G. IPOD SHUFFLE



2009
2/1/09 Surf City Run HALF MARATHON
2/8/09 Chinatown Firecracker Run 5k and 10k
2/14/09 Tour de Palm Springs 55 MILE RIDE
3/14/09 Pasadena Triathlon REVERSE POOL SPRINT
4/4/09 Oceanside 70.3 HALF IRONMAN
5/3/09 Cinco de Mayo Run for the Cure HALF MARATHON
8/1/09 Vineman Full FULL IRONMAN
11/1/09 New York Marathon MARATHON
2008
2/3/08 Surf City Run HALF MARATHON
2/9/08 Tour de Palm Springs CENTURY RIDE
2/10/08 Chinatown Firecracker Run 5k and 10k
3/08/08 Pasadena Triathlon REVERSE POOL SPRINT
4/19/08 Rage in the Sage HALF IRONMAN
5/25/08 IM Brasil FULL IRONMAN
140.6 BABY!!!
7/20/08 Strawberry Fields Triathlon OLYMPIC
2007
2/4/07 Pacific Shoreline HALF MARATHON
3/31/07 Oceanside 70.3 HALF IRONMAN
6/3/07 Danskin All Ladies Tri SPRINT
6/24/07 Breath of Life Tri OLYMPIC
7/12/07 Playa Del Run #2 AQUATHLON
7/22/07 Vineman 70.3 HALF IRONMAN
8/9/07 Playa Del Run #3 AQUATHLON
8/19/07 Hansen Dam Tri SPRINT
10/7/07 People Powered Ride METRIC CENTURY FUN RIDE
11/4/07 New York Marathon MARATHON

ALLEZ
BOLDER
DC RAINMAKER
DECAF PLEASE
DYING WATER BUFFALO
FE-Lady
GREYHOUND
IM ABLE
IRON DEAN
IRON JASON
IRON MOM JENNY
IRON POL
IRON WIL
KONA SHELLEY
Lance NotStrong
LITTLE MISS RUNNERS PANTS
LOCKED AND LOADED...
NEOPRENE WEDGIE
NEWBIE TRIATHLETE 2007
OBRATS
SPANDEX KING
SPOKANE AL
Steve in a Speedo?! Gross!!
TEA
TriFAThlete
TRI GEEK KAHUNA
triSARAtops


www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing photos in a set called danskin all ladies triathlon '07. Make your own badge here.








  

  





Tuesday, November 20, 2007

CATASTROPHE DIVERTED

since i've been back from NYC, things have been pretty mellow. last week was the first week of my official Ironman base training. it came and went without much fanfare except that i thought i pulled something in my back my first day back to weights while trying to figure out my new 1 rep max at several different exercises. talked to coach about it, and we agreed i'd hold off on the weights, take a day off and then resume with swimming. i wouldn't even attempt to run until the weekend, and by then my back should be fine. went for a mellow ride saturday after i coached. back felt ok mostly in aero position, and i came home and iced immediately. that night i went to a friend's going away party, had two glasses of wine over the course of the evening, and was home by..... well...2am?? all i needed to do was get a 75 minute run in on sunday, so i decided i'd sleep in and go for my run sunday evening to really let my back rest up. in the middle of the night, i started to feel a pain in my left leg and hip, again like i'd lifted too heavy a weight or something, but i hadn't lifted in days!!! slept in until the housekeeper showed up around 10am, and when i took the first step outta bed, THE PAIN WAS AGONIZING!!! i was limping so bad, it felt like i had a serious leg length discrepancy. all day, i could not get comfortable, not even laying on the couch, and still my back was a mess. there goes that sunday evening run. i started to get depressed that i'd missed so much of my first week of base and could not for the life of me figure out how the hell i did this to my hip and leg. hopefully, i'd feel ok enough by monday to go for my drill swim, low impact ya know.....

monday i woke up with no pain in my leg...POOF!!! WTF??? how could i be limping like i was and then just be fine the next day?? i'm not complainin' though. so i got my drill swim in with still some pain in my lower back, but by now the pain is pretty acute and on my right side, right about where my..... yep..... dammit..... fuck... shit... fuckshit.... KIDNEYS ARE. i've had this pain once or twice before but not in years, and i've never sought a doctor for it. for one, unless my tonsils are drippin' with puss (sorry for the gross out), I HATE TAKING ANTIBIOTICS. i'm not going to my quack of a doctor, who already doesn't like that i have low resting heart rate from all this swim-bike-run stuff (note to self: must find new doctor), just for her to prescribe me some strong antibiotics that may get rid of the infection but kill all the good stuff goin' on in there too. nope, not gonna do it. cranberry juice and acidophilus should clear it right up. and by today, the pain has lessened considerably, so i went to my shoot early this morning and then came home to rest some more before i'd attempt a run on the treadmill at the gym tonight. i even decided that if the impact felt too much for the back, i'd switch to the elliptical doo hicky. packed up the bag: socks...check, shorts...check, bra...check, singlet...check, ipod...check, shoes...check.....and i was off.

so imagine my absolute horror when i dumped out my bag and found this:


the mismatched shoes


i have several pairs of these Asics DS Trainers, so many so that i write the dates on them to keep track and then phase the old ones out. so in my rush to get to the gym, i grabbed two shoes that were sitting in a pile.....



the one on the right, dated 9/07, is from the most recent pair that i ran the NYC Marathon in (see the chip still attached), and the one on the left, dated 5/07, has at least a half marathon, some 5ks, an olympic distance and half ironman tri in them. and has NO SHOE LACE because i'm cheap and swap out my Yankz from pair to pair.

SHIT.FUCK.SHIT.FUCK.SHIT.FUCK.FUCK.FUUUUUUUUCK!!!

but then i looked down at my other shoes i had on. thank god i hadn't picked my slip-ons to wear today.....


...and my old school Vans save the day!!


and imagine the look on the woman's face next to me in the locker room when she saw me taking several pictures of my shoes!!! got my 30 minute run in, but man did my two feet feel REALLY DIFFERENT.....

CATASTROPHE DIVERTED.....CARRY ON!!!

btw, the pics above were taken with my new digi point-and-shoot camera. i can't tell you how friggin' happy i am. my old one died months ago, and i've been reduced to the camera phone for on-the-go shots. DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH IT KILLED ME TO POST CRAPPY PICS HERE?? i really wanted to get something new with a good lens on it and video capabilities for training rides and what not. saturday, a few of my runners that i coached presented me with a really thoughtful gift of a gift certificate to our big camera store here in L.A. so i'm back in bidness!!! stay tuned for more exciting pics and video as i train through the winter...... as soon as this kidney thang clears up.....UUGH!!

4 Comments:

Blogger Allez said...

Hate going to doctors too! They give you drugs to "fix" one thing then it screws up another. My mom had to take some antibiotics for a staph infection. It took her 2 MONTHS to get back to normal after taking the strong meds!

November 21, 2007 at 6:12 AM

 
Blogger Dan Seifring aka "OBRATS" said...

I just found your blog from a comment you left on another blog.

I have to say that I love the title of the blog. I have no tattoos but if I am ever fortunate enough to finish an Ironman I am so getting the tattoo.

November 21, 2007 at 8:11 AM

 
Blogger Bolder said...

hope the kidneys are treating you better, great shots, and happy thanksgiving!

November 22, 2007 at 6:40 AM

 
Blogger Tea said...

OMG hucking filarious!

You have now opened the door for me to freely take pictures of my belongings in the locker room.

LIFE IS GOOD.

November 24, 2007 at 6:17 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home