MONICA
37 years old
freelance photographer
running coach
Sunny Southern Cali, US of A

NO AUTOGRAPHS, PLEASE.
JUST TAKE THE BUTTON...





CHI RUNNING
by Danny Dreyer

GOING LONG
by Joe Friel
& Gordon Byrn

THE PALEO DIET FOR ATHLETES
by Loren Cordain and Joe Friel

KILLING YOURSELF TO LIVE:
85% OF TRUE STORY

by Chuck Klosterman

WHAT I TALK ABOUT WHEN I TALK ABOUT RUNNING
by Haruki Murakami

HAVEN'T HAD CABLE SINCE THE MOVE SIX MONTHS AGO. NOW I HAVE THAT DIGITAL BOX THAT I GOT FREE WITH THE GOVERNMENT VOUCHER. I'M HOOKED ON THE FREE USN CHANNEL (NBC) THAT PLAYS OLD KONA SPECIALS FROM YEARS PAST!!!

THEN OF COURSE FOR THE HOURS I SPEND ON THE TRAINER...


MY O.G. IPOD SHUFFLE



2009
2/1/09 Surf City Run HALF MARATHON
2/8/09 Chinatown Firecracker Run 5k and 10k
2/14/09 Tour de Palm Springs 55 MILE RIDE
3/14/09 Pasadena Triathlon REVERSE POOL SPRINT
4/4/09 Oceanside 70.3 HALF IRONMAN
5/3/09 Cinco de Mayo Run for the Cure HALF MARATHON
8/1/09 Vineman Full FULL IRONMAN
11/1/09 New York Marathon MARATHON
2008
2/3/08 Surf City Run HALF MARATHON
2/9/08 Tour de Palm Springs CENTURY RIDE
2/10/08 Chinatown Firecracker Run 5k and 10k
3/08/08 Pasadena Triathlon REVERSE POOL SPRINT
4/19/08 Rage in the Sage HALF IRONMAN
5/25/08 IM Brasil FULL IRONMAN
140.6 BABY!!!
7/20/08 Strawberry Fields Triathlon OLYMPIC
2007
2/4/07 Pacific Shoreline HALF MARATHON
3/31/07 Oceanside 70.3 HALF IRONMAN
6/3/07 Danskin All Ladies Tri SPRINT
6/24/07 Breath of Life Tri OLYMPIC
7/12/07 Playa Del Run #2 AQUATHLON
7/22/07 Vineman 70.3 HALF IRONMAN
8/9/07 Playa Del Run #3 AQUATHLON
8/19/07 Hansen Dam Tri SPRINT
10/7/07 People Powered Ride METRIC CENTURY FUN RIDE
11/4/07 New York Marathon MARATHON

ALLEZ
BOLDER
DC RAINMAKER
DECAF PLEASE
DYING WATER BUFFALO
FE-Lady
GREYHOUND
IM ABLE
IRON DEAN
IRON JASON
IRON MOM JENNY
IRON POL
IRON WIL
KONA SHELLEY
Lance NotStrong
LITTLE MISS RUNNERS PANTS
LOCKED AND LOADED...
NEOPRENE WEDGIE
NEWBIE TRIATHLETE 2007
OBRATS
SPANDEX KING
SPOKANE AL
Steve in a Speedo?! Gross!!
TEA
TriFAThlete
TRI GEEK KAHUNA
triSARAtops


www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing photos in a set called danskin all ladies triathlon '07. Make your own badge here.








  

  





Monday, January 21, 2008

THANK YOU FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART

i can't believe i've been remiss to go half the day without writing this post.


my friends and coworkers have often accused me of being able to turn any conversation or situation into a political one. now i've been very conscious to keep this blog strictly about the journey to Ironman, but if you're interested in the journey, you gotta know a little about what makes me, well, me. nothing incenses me more than the apathy that my generation has been stamped with. those same friends ask me, "why do you have to turn EVERYTHING into a political battle? why do you care so much whether i vote or not?" i bet they're delighted that all i have to talk about now is my Ironman training and am too tired to put up a fight about much of anything else these days. and so my answer to them is this...



my grandparents, George and Lucy Morant
just 3 years shy of my birth, my very own grandparents, whom i never had the privilege to know, COULD NOT LEGALLY VOTE. my grandfather, who could neither read nor write, knew that he wanted, THAT HE NEEDED THAT VOTE if he was to live with any sort of true purpose and dignity. my grandmother, who had 3 different cancers before she finally passed because no black hospitals in the south had the resources to care for her, knew that for the sake of her children and grandchildren, SHE NEEDED THAT VOTE. so to those who ask, i say it would be dishonoring their memory to sit back and be complacent, to not take part in my government. i remind them that we're talking about less than 50 years ago that i would not have had the right to vote in the very same country in which i was born.











i have fond memories of sitting in my aunt's living room as a young child as she played her special edition Life Magazine vinyl recording of Reverend Martin Luther King's "I Have a Dream" speech. it gave me chills, and no matter where i am or how many times i hear that speech, i will always get chills. The Reverend King had a way about him, a gentle and peaceful way when necessary, a stern way at other times, a delivery and a presence like no other. that voice and the way words rolled off his tongue can do nothing but inspire. there's a line in the speech "from the prodigious hilltops of New Hampshire," that peaked my curiosity for some reason. i'd never heard the word "prodigious" before, so my aunt got her big heavy dictionary off the shelf, and we looked it up. "remarkably or impressively great in extent, size, or degree. he means, there are abundant hills or large, impressive hills in the State of New Hampshire," my aunt explained.


from the prodigious hilltops of New Hampshire

in 2006, i finally made it to New Hampshire to compete in my first half ironman at Timberman on my 35th birthday. you gotta love a race who's motto is "live free and tri." i recall being overwhelmed at the expanse of green everywhere, the trees that blanketed every square inch of land, nothing like the desert terrain or even the Sierra Mountain range i'm accustomed to seeing here in California. after the race i took the opportunity to drive just about the entire state from the the coast in Portsmouth all the way to the White Mountains, and i hadn't forgotten that line. there i was amongst those prodigious hilltops that the Reverend King spoke so fervently of on that day in Washington DC. it gave me chills....

so thank you Reverend King, thank you for having a dream, and not just for black folks, but for all mankind. i wonder what you'd think, what my grandparents would think of us now as we face the very strong likelihood that our next president may very well be a Black Man or a Woman. would you say that we have surpassed your dream or would you say we still have further to go??

2 Comments:

Blogger Spokane Al said...

Very moving and nicely stated.

I am happy to report that your fix now allows me to read your great stuff via Google Reader.

Without the fix I may have missed your timely sentiments.

January 21, 2008 at 8:16 PM

 
Blogger Bolder said...

wonderful post, and a fitting tribute.

gives me chills.

i'd say we are getting there.

January 22, 2008 at 5:01 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home