MONICA
37 years old
freelance photographer
running coach
Sunny Southern Cali, US of A

NO AUTOGRAPHS, PLEASE.
JUST TAKE THE BUTTON...





CHI RUNNING
by Danny Dreyer

GOING LONG
by Joe Friel
& Gordon Byrn

THE PALEO DIET FOR ATHLETES
by Loren Cordain and Joe Friel

KILLING YOURSELF TO LIVE:
85% OF TRUE STORY

by Chuck Klosterman

WHAT I TALK ABOUT WHEN I TALK ABOUT RUNNING
by Haruki Murakami

HAVEN'T HAD CABLE SINCE THE MOVE SIX MONTHS AGO. NOW I HAVE THAT DIGITAL BOX THAT I GOT FREE WITH THE GOVERNMENT VOUCHER. I'M HOOKED ON THE FREE USN CHANNEL (NBC) THAT PLAYS OLD KONA SPECIALS FROM YEARS PAST!!!

THEN OF COURSE FOR THE HOURS I SPEND ON THE TRAINER...


MY O.G. IPOD SHUFFLE



2009
2/1/09 Surf City Run HALF MARATHON
2/8/09 Chinatown Firecracker Run 5k and 10k
2/14/09 Tour de Palm Springs 55 MILE RIDE
3/14/09 Pasadena Triathlon REVERSE POOL SPRINT
4/4/09 Oceanside 70.3 HALF IRONMAN
5/3/09 Cinco de Mayo Run for the Cure HALF MARATHON
8/1/09 Vineman Full FULL IRONMAN
11/1/09 New York Marathon MARATHON
2008
2/3/08 Surf City Run HALF MARATHON
2/9/08 Tour de Palm Springs CENTURY RIDE
2/10/08 Chinatown Firecracker Run 5k and 10k
3/08/08 Pasadena Triathlon REVERSE POOL SPRINT
4/19/08 Rage in the Sage HALF IRONMAN
5/25/08 IM Brasil FULL IRONMAN
140.6 BABY!!!
7/20/08 Strawberry Fields Triathlon OLYMPIC
2007
2/4/07 Pacific Shoreline HALF MARATHON
3/31/07 Oceanside 70.3 HALF IRONMAN
6/3/07 Danskin All Ladies Tri SPRINT
6/24/07 Breath of Life Tri OLYMPIC
7/12/07 Playa Del Run #2 AQUATHLON
7/22/07 Vineman 70.3 HALF IRONMAN
8/9/07 Playa Del Run #3 AQUATHLON
8/19/07 Hansen Dam Tri SPRINT
10/7/07 People Powered Ride METRIC CENTURY FUN RIDE
11/4/07 New York Marathon MARATHON

ALLEZ
BOLDER
DC RAINMAKER
DECAF PLEASE
DYING WATER BUFFALO
FE-Lady
GREYHOUND
IM ABLE
IRON DEAN
IRON JASON
IRON MOM JENNY
IRON POL
IRON WIL
KONA SHELLEY
Lance NotStrong
LITTLE MISS RUNNERS PANTS
LOCKED AND LOADED...
NEOPRENE WEDGIE
NEWBIE TRIATHLETE 2007
OBRATS
SPANDEX KING
SPOKANE AL
Steve in a Speedo?! Gross!!
TEA
TriFAThlete
TRI GEEK KAHUNA
triSARAtops


www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing photos in a set called danskin all ladies triathlon '07. Make your own badge here.








  

  





Friday, February 22, 2008

FRIDAY NIGHT CONFESSIONAL

me: "forgive me Iron God, for i have sinned. it's been 48 hours since my last workout and these WERE NOT PLANNED OFF DAYS. it may be another 72 hours before i can get back to a substantial routine"

IRON GOD: "what happened my child?"

me: "well, i'm on the road and without my bike. on top of that, it's raining on the road and my shoot hours have been insane. THEY HAVE WORKED US LIKE DOGS EVERY DAY. as far as training goes, that leaves just two things to do every day. i mean how many ways can you variate swim and run before it gets tired?? i'll tell you, Iron God, about 4 days. first it's morning swim, evening run on the treadmill. oh, and the Presidio YMCA has the most retarded dreadmill system EVAH. there's a 30 minute limit and you have to reserve one in advance. WTF?? and 30 minutes isn't gonna get me through the 7 miles i need to do. i actually had to get off of one after 30 minutes and then reserve another one to knock out the second half. hello, anyone heard of first come first serve??? then it's morning weights followed by evening 3000 yd./6 mile brick. i never realized how lost i'd be trying to navigate through a new weight room. next morning it's the run again followed by an evening swim. by the 4th day, Iron God, i'd fallen from grace. i skipped the morning thing cuz i just needed to sleep. no problem. i'd pack it all into an evening brick again. our shoot was so insane that day that by the time i rolled up to the gym, i needed a nap before i could go in there again. i just couldn't face that dreadlmill one more time, ya know?? so i started to put the seat down and was seriously going to take a nap in the parking lot of the gym when i realized i was toast, BURNT TOAST. so i called my buddy Joe for a pep talk. turns out Joe just got dumped that afternoon and wanted to drink. oh, Iron God, how quickly we fall, spiraling, spiraling, burning to the ground...."

Iron God: "and that's when you bought the two bottles of wine?"

me: "oh, you noticed that huh?"

IG: "i see everything my child..."

me: "oh, Iron God, what have i done? it was a great bottle of wine though!!! i mean look at the label. IT WAS CALLING ME!!!"


me: "and then i just hit rock bottom. we ate and drank and watched Netflix movies. DO YOU KNOW HOW LONG IT'S BEEN SINCE I ACTUALLY STOPPED TO WATCH AN ENTIRE MOVIE WITHOUT SITTING ON A BIKE TRAINER?? and oh man, was it a perfectly great downer of a punk documentary about one of my all-time favorite godfather of punk bands..."

IG: "yeah, that's a pretty epic flick, and then you made it a double feature with this one."

me: "oh, you caught that too?"

IG: "again, i see EVERYTHING, my child. wanna explain the munchies incident?"

me: "i'm so ashamed..."

IG: "anything else you want to share?"

me: "why?? you see everything don't you?"

IG: "why yes, my child, i do. even the 4 course meal complete with wine pairings for each course at that great little French place in Carmel."

me: "can you really blame me for that one?"

IG: "no way. good food is good food, especially when someone else is paying..."

me: "EXACTLY."

IG: "so tell me, my child. just how bad do you want this Ironman?"

me: "oh Iron God, I WANT THIS SO BAD, but it's hard to keep a straight line all the time, especially on the road. now i know how all those adulterous rock stars must feel. i have forsaken my bike, i know. please, please, Iron God, i'm begging you, what can i do to still make it to Iron Heaven?? you name it, i'll do it."

IG: "first, i want you to STOP FREAKING OUT. whatever you can't get in, you can't get in. you gotta move on and keep your eyes on the prize. next, never EVER EVER take your bike for granted again. every ride from here on out, you must love that bike and ride that bike to it's fullest potential. that doesn't mean ride fast or ride hard, but MAKE EVERY MILE COUNT"

me: "i got it. EVERY. MILE. WILL. COUNT. anything else?"

IG: "CORE EVERY NIGHT IN YOUR HOTEL ROOM."

me: "of course, of course. CORE. what else?"

IG: "well you tell me..."

me: "ok, ok, i've had impure thoughts."

IG: "i'm listening.."

me: "well, i daydreamed about daydreaming and snuggling up on the couch on a sunday while watching an all-day marathon of Project Runway."

IG: "yes..."

me: "and i've been plagued by envy. i'm pissed off that everyone in my tri club, everyone in the entire state of California, will be at the finish line to watch the final Crit stage of the Tour of Califorinia, when it's just 2 miles from my house, but i'll still be far far away on the road..."

IG: "first, there'll be no time for daydreaming or any all-day tv marathons, so just get over that one right now."

me: "you could just tell me who wins..."

IG: " i could, but then i'd have to kill you. now that won't get you to Ironman will it? besides, that's what Tivo is for. second, envy is one of the seven deadliest sins. how many of those fools going to the Tour are gonna be Ironmen come May? let's talk about envy then...SACRIFICES, MY CHILD"

me: "yeah, you're so right. ok, no more envy, no more daydreaming. what else?"

IG: "and don't you ever EVER again doubt yourself. don't doubt that you can do this. never doubt that YOU WILL ROCK."

me: "no more doubt. NO. MORE. DOUBT."

IG: "is that it, my child? is there anything else i can help answer for you?"

me: "well, maybe you can, Iron God. you see, i've been REALLY GASSY lately..."

IG: "sorry, can't help you there, my child....whoever smelt it dealt it"

6 Comments:

Blogger Rainmaker said...

Hilarious post!

Damn, the menu looks awesome!:
"Syrah - Braised Beef Short Rib".

That sounds sooo good. Maybe I'll just make something like that tomorrow for dinner. ;)

February 23, 2008 at 6:38 PM

 
Blogger Bolder said...

outstanding post!

REPENT SINNER!!

February 24, 2008 at 7:44 AM

 
Blogger Allez said...

Get those demons out!

February 25, 2008 at 8:12 AM

 
Blogger Kim said...

do you think IG would approve of redtube? cause my IG applauds me for finding such wonderful material. :)

February 25, 2008 at 1:33 PM

 
Blogger CoachLiz said...

Great!

Trust me, all the sacrifices are worth it. You have to have faith!

February 25, 2008 at 1:57 PM

 
Blogger Patricio said...

OMG that was an awesome post! really funny! Found your blog through other triathletes/runners.
Reserving treadmills huh? running on the treadmill is the worst, much less reserving one?!?!?
Ironman Brazil? right on. You speak Portuguese?
Ah, the tat: left back shoulder :)
Good luck with the training!!
P

February 25, 2008 at 8:05 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home