WEEKEND RECAP: THE OUTLINE
kinda late to be writing a weekend recap on a wednesday, but St. Paddy's day deserved its own post, and yesterday just got away from me. plus, you all must be waiting on pins n needles for the HUMP DAY HAIKU!!! so i'll give you a brief outline. starting this next week, i gotta be more on top of getting the recaps written by sunday night.
A. Hour Long Ocean Swim
1. weather called for high wind and surf advisories
2. Iron Maiden of Honor, Lesley, joined me but couldn't get out past the surf.
a. i'll cut her some slack since
(1) it was her first ocean swim since last August
(2) she just returned from running The Antarctica Marathon two weeks ago!!!
3. so i swam by myself
a. went out for a half hour as conditions exponentially got worse.
b. on the way back i realized i was stuck in a riptide and not going anywhere.
c. so i just kept swimming in the washing machine of a rip until my hour was up.
(1) that may be the closest i'll get to swimming in one of those endless pools
4. got out about .2 of a mile from where i started
a. felt a little defeated
b. but also felt hardcore for being out there all alone without even a surfer in sight
A. Brick of 70 miles with hills followed by an 8 mile run.
B. The Bike
1. HELLA WINDY!!!
2. had to stop and walk across a ton of sand berms that had formed from the wind on the bike path
3. 17 miles into the ride and just at the base of the PV Loop, MY CHAIN BROKE!!!
a. i have the chain tool but don't know how to use it. DOH!!!
b. a nice man named Andy stopped and showed me how to use the tool.
(1) may Andy be blessed with:
(a) all the best bike kharma from here to eternity
(b) a full head of hair for all of eternity
c. even though it was put back together, Andy wasn't confident that i should ride any further on this chain.
(1) he recommended that i keep it in the small ring and not put any crazy torque on it.
d. so i coasted in the small ring to the closest shop, Triathlon Lab, about 2 miles away.
(1) they weren't open for another hour and a half.
e. so then i coasted to the next tri club sponsor, Helen's Cycles, about another 5 miles away and in the opposite direction.
(1) 15 minutes and about 50 bucks later, i was back in business.
4. finally made it up into PV for some climbing
a. IT WAS SUPER HELLA WINDY!!!
(1) when i came around to the windward side of the peninsula, i felt like:
(a) my bike was gonna do the WWF smackdown onto the road or
(b) i'd just get blown right into oncoming traffic
b. at this point, with the wind, and after the flat, i was DONE.
(1) i could barely maintain about 12mph
(a) so i just kept it spinning and barely held any effort
5. came back down the peninsula and onto the flats to bring it home for the run
a. got some nice micro-dermabrasion to the face from all the sand whipping around on the bike path.
C. The Run
1. still HELLA WINDY and I FORGOT MY SUNGLASSES!!!
2. just tried to focus on keeping about a 160 heart rate
3. more dermabrasion to the legs and eyeballs
4. i could tell i hadn't pushed it on the bike much because:
a. i maintained 9:08 minute miles for 8 miles.
that's the outline to my story, and i'm sticking to it...